Cimarron was the first mission station in what later became Gray County. Nevertherless, the parish at Ingalls had its beginnings at Belfast, three miles to the west. Father Felix Swermbergh served Cimarron from his pastorate at Emporia in 1874. Later, this mission station was served by priests stationed at Windthorst, Dodge City and Meade.
Plans for a church may have been initiated after Bishop John J. Hennessy visited Ingalls with the St. Anthony Chapel Car in 1907. The bishop selected a suitable building site and left the rest to the hands of God and Father Michael Mennis, the pastor at Dodge City.
At Ingalls, a 30- by 60-foot frame church was constructed with the initial assistance of the Catholic Extension Society. This humble structure had no plaster; its walls were all tongue and groove construction. The Gothic-style windows were fitted with amber colored glass. Bishop Hennessy dedicated the church October 6, 1910. The church was placed under the patronage of St. Stanislaus Kostka. Three Polish families in the congregation, each having a son named for this saint, chose the name for the church.
In 1929, a new church was needed for the growing congregation. The parishioners offered their labors to hold down the cost of the project. Men with either tractors or horses with slips dug the basement for the church. When the bricks arrived by rail, the parishionners hauled them to the construction site.
On July 19, 1931, Bishop Schwertner blessed the cornerstone. Less than six months later, on Dec. 1, he returned to dedicate the church.
In 1962, the parish undertook a project to enlarge and improve the sanctuary. A new church entrance with an adjacent daily Mass Chapel was constructed in 1975, after the parish received a bequest from the estate of Rudy and Vera Blanton. The chapel follows the styling of the main church. The Spanish-Styled stonework at the entrance of the church was carefully removed and reconstructed after the church was extended 14 feet.
(This material appeared in its original form in A Legacy of Faith: The History of the Diocese of Dodge City by Timothy F. Wenzl (2001).
